We are all resilient, sentient beings, living both individually and relationally, and yet no two people have quite the same experiences, ideas, or values. It’s astonishing really when you take the time to really think about it.
I feel it’s such an honor as a therapist to be able to experience people and their varied personal world view and believe a loving and affirmative attitude towards that diverse human experience to be one of my therapeutic strengths.
As a therapist, I’d say my approach is fairly gentle, yet direct, inquisitive, solution-focused and collaborative. In other words- “it’s just you and me, kid.” We’re a team.
That said- if you’re here, it’s likely that you are facing obstacles in some area of your life that you’re having trouble “leaping in a single bound”, and could use a little help with. (We all do at some point; we can’t all be super human, all the time!)
Regardless of why you’re here, I’d like to help.
In essence, my theoretical orientation is a nice blend of Narrative and Collaborative therapy, where we use your own personal story, your own perspectives, and your own blend of strengths to help you change something in the way you think or behave now, that is currently holding you back from living the fulfilling life you desire.
My approach is a passionate advocacy of YOU; of your beliefs and values as an individual. You are the expert of your own life and I am simply the facilitator to help you rediscover that which makes you feel whole and healthy, on your terms and at your own pace.
By fostering the belief that YOU are the author of your story, I give you the confidence to take control of your life, your relationships, and your happiness. And ultimately there is no one else better suited for the job anyway… wouldn’t you agree?
My Areas of Interest
Finding your strengths, breaking through barriers, getting “unstuck” and rocking your life… it sounds great, but just what does that mean exactly?
Good question. It means that many individuals have things going on in their lives that prevent them from living as their best selves. That’s part of being human. I help you with unveiling your best self.
Areas I focus on include:
- Individuals, Partnerships, and Families
- Improving Relationship Communication
- Improving Intimacy
- Improving Dating Skills
- Mixed Orientation Marriages/Relationships
- Multicultural Issues
- Monogamy / Non-Monogamy Issues
- Gender Issues
- Sexuality and Sexual Concerns
- Coming Out Issues
- Breakup Recovery
- LGBTQQI issues
- Relationship Challenges
My Credentials & Expertise
- I received my Master of Science in Psychology with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy, courtesy of Our Lady of the Lake University.
- I am a Marriage and Family Therapist- Supervisor (LMFT-S; #201306).
- I am a Licensed Professional Counselor- Supervisor (LPC-S; #65223).
- I also provide MFT supervision, as part of my supervisor training, under AAMFT mentoring.
- I am Certified in Human Sexuality through the Institute of the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality in San Francisco, CA.
- I have 40 hours of training in clinical hypnosis from the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis.
- I have 18 hours of training in ADHD and Executive Functions.
- I am a National Certified Counselor (NCC #295582) through the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC).
- I am a member of the Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT; Texas-AMFT and Austin-AMFT), The National Coalition of Sexual Freedom (NCSF), The American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) and World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH).
That about sums things up! I look forward to possibly working with you in co-creating the life you desire and bringing your best self forward. Please visit my services page for further details on how I might help you in your journey.